Charging Problem

Discussion in 'EV Charging' started by jevaisbien, Jul 5, 2017.

1. jevaisbien

jevaisbien New Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan Leaf S
    I have a 2013 Nissan Leaf. I bought it several months ago with about 180000 miles on the odometer. I have been charging it with the trickle charge EVSE--I think it is called Level 1 charging. At first it charged without an issue. I had it set for 80% charge and it charged pretty much to that. I would use the car mornings, put it away, stick in the charger and Bob was my uncle. Lately, however, I have been finding that it has not been charging to 80%, but to less and less than that- 65, 57, 47. Don't know what to make of this. A few days ago, in a sudden rush of ambition to get to the bottom of this problem, after I plugged in the EVSE I stood and watched what was happening with the car and the EVSE control box. AS soon as I had inserted the charge connector, the LEDs on the control box lit telling me I had power and that the charging had begun. Also, the blue lights on top of the dash came on. Happy me! But then, a few minutes later the charging light on the control box went out and so did the blue lights in the car. I tried again and again to restart the process by unplugging and replugging. Always, the process would begin again as though all were in order--then a short while later it would fail. Has anyone had this happen? Or heard of someone who has? And if so, was any solution come upon?

2. Dave

Dave Admin/LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Leaf
    I have heard of a similar problem and that case was solved by the person checking the socket to make sure its grounded. Im not qualified to instruct how to do this but it should read 120V not 0V (but dont be fooled by improper grounding hot to neutral in the outlet box can read 120V too though which is bad)...or if not comfortable just try a different plug. Even a different circuit. Hopefully its that simple but worth a try.

3. jevaisbien

jevaisbien New Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan Leaf S
    Thanks for the tip. I will take the plate off the socket and see what I can see. Thee is another dimension to this problem that I forgot to mention in my post: The EVSE connector is damaged in that it doesn't have a release button anymore. I have to stick a screwdriver blade into the hole where the button used to be and depress the back end of the latch lever to get the connector out of the port. Coulde be that the damage has worsened over the past few weeks and has now reached the critical stage. By the way, I see that in the original post I said that my car has 180000 miles. God have mercy, ain't that bad! That should read:18000

4. Dave

Dave Admin/LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Leaf
    Lol I thought to myself joly crap! Hope you got a good deal at 180k miles

5. jevaisbien

jevaisbien New Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan Leaf S
    At 180, they couldn't have gotten me to haul it away for free--I might have done it for a couple hundred though. Such is the damning power of one little zero.
    I have researched my problem further: I have tentatively concluded that I have a faulty power distribution module. I am hoping this is part of the powertrain. If so, I can get it replaced under warranty. Otherwise it is going to be expensive. At least 500$ for the part and probably three times that for labor.

6. Mac

Mac MacOnMeHill

Electric Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan Leaf
    another tack to try.. The car charger and indeed all the controls, security, computer etc relies on the 12v battery to be fully charged and operational.. check that to be sure it is not part of the problem. In my experience, 12v lead acid batteries seldome last more that 3-4 yrs before they give up.. you may be due for replacement

a 110, 120 v circuit tester is available at most hardware and builder supply.. you plug it in and the lights tell you if the circuit is ok.. they are not expensive and are useful for any home wiring projects.

curious.. why only 80%.. I let mine charge full up ! had it since 2014 and no problems or degradation so far.

7. jevaisbien

jevaisbien New Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan Leaf S
    That was my first thought too. I removed the battery, took it to Autozone and had it tested. They said it was good. I then, to get a second opinion, took it to another autos tore and had them test. Alos said it was good. Of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't the problem--I have only so much faith in these tests....but I am inclined, before I change the battery (which I am going to have to pay for) to see what the warranty can do for me.

Thanks for the tip re the circuit tester. I will look into that.

8. jevaisbien

jevaisbien New Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan Leaf S
    Nissan recommends, to prolong the life of the battery, not to charge it to more than 80%--unless, of course, you are going to need the extra range charing to 100% would give you.