The Future of Ontario's EV Incentives

Discussion in 'Purchase Information' started by Breezy, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Breezy

Breezy Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Volt
    Eligible Electric Vehicles

The next provincial election will be no later than June 2018. It will probably be a Progressive Conservative government and I think they're likely to scale back the incentives. We're unlikely to see purchase incentives this generous again for a long time.

Thoughts?

Dave likes this.
  2. SSi3

SSi3 LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 BMW i3 REx
    That crossed my mind too... going to get an L2 installed in my garage this spring to take advantage of the rebates while I can.

3. Mac

Mac MacOnMeHill

Electric Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan Leaf
    When a proper carbon tax or co2 exchange is implemented and puts a correct value on co2 pollution of our air and when tax subsidies to coal, oil, gas are eliminated then gas engine technology will be much less economical. At that point, we wont likely need such incentives to get people to invest in EVs..
    But I agree that these issues are more political than economic. So taking advantage now is the best option.

Dave likes this.
  4. Dave

Dave Admin/LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Leaf
    How are you able to get away with no L2 for this long?

5. Dave

Dave Admin/LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Leaf
    Maybe I should look for a good lawyer to somehow show me as "in possession" if I pay fully now for M3 :s open the door to all reservation holders :)

Breezy likes this.
  6. G_Money

G_Money Well-Known Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2016 Smart ED
    My lease expires in September 2018. I guess I should start shopping that spring, before the election.

Dave likes this.
  7. Breezy

Breezy Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Volt
    We're looking at replacing our 2008 Grand Caravan with a Pacifica Hybrid, probably when the 2018s are out in the fall.

Dave likes this.
  8. WaterlooRegionVoltec

WaterlooRegionVoltec WRVoltec Founder EV Club

There could be one more large additional EV incentive in Ontario near budget time (May-June). Removal of the PST or possible HST on EV purchases. Hoping it comes through, if it does I will be purchasing! Quote from Ontario's Climate Action Plan,

"2.2 Eliminate HST on zero emission vehicles: Ontario will work with the federal government to explore ways to provide full-HST relief to purchasers of new battery electric vehicles, with the objective of introducing this relief by 2018. Timetable: Action Start 2017-2018. "

Dave likes this.
  9. Dave

Dave Admin/LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Leaf
    Oh very exciting! This would pay for winter package and more.

10. Gary

Gary LEVA Member

Electric Vehicle:
    2015 Leaf
    Here is a link to a report on the carbon tax affects households.

Here's how much carbon pricing will likely cost households - Macleans.ca

In one graph for Ontario, it shows the effect of the carbon tax on our electrical rates as being very minimal, and natural gas heating and transportation fuel as being significant. If this is truly the case, then it is one step in the right direction to tax non-EV vehicles at a higher rate. This does not take into account the very high electrical rates in Ontario though.
    What I don't understand how taxing natural gas heating fuel provides an incentive not to consume it. You have to keep warm in the winter.....or go to Florida.

Dave likes this.
  11. Breezy

Breezy Friend

Electric Vehicle:
    2013 Volt
    It changes the economics for things like upgrading to a higher-efficiency furnace or adding insulation, and encourages people to do simple things like replacing weatherstripping. People have to heat their homes to protect the structure and to have a healthy indoor environment, but setting the thermostat to anything above 18C is about comfort.

Dave and Mac like this.
  12. Mac

Mac MacOnMeHill

Electric Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan Leaf
    Boomers like me grew up in a blissful ignorance about what our energy habits were doing to the environment .. it is about time that we pay the piper..

Our parents got off coal and wood heat in the homes ( ya I grew up in a home with the old fashioned big octopus furnaces with Coal/wood rooms in the basement). Its our turn, we should help people get off oil, gas,propane or at least reduce its use by all means practical.

Think about heat pumps and solar heated water for washing and heating ..in the 80's I had 2 homes with these features.. they work. The equipment and incentives are much better now.

Dave likes this.